Undercooked Burgers Likely Caused E. Coli Outbreak; Ground Beef So Far Escapes Recall

October 20, 2015

Not quite a month ago, Vermont health officials announced they were dealing with an E. coli outbreak, which would eventually grow to an estimated 11 cases in three states. It was likely caused by restaurant hamburgers made from local grass-fed beef and prepared to satisfy the tastes of its customers, no matter how rare.

Inside a walk-in cooler at the popular Worthy Burger restaurant, housed in a historic depot at South Royalton, VT, state officials found Shiga toxin-producing bacteria in an unopened package of beef. Such a finding is enough for recall whether the contaminated package was associated with an outbreak or not. However, the recall that…