Open Data on Restaurant Inspections a Useful Tool for Consumers and Government

October 28, 2015

“My husband ate at this restaurant on Friday 10/16/2015 and was admitted to the ICU with a bacterial infection from food poisioning [sic],” Kari F. wrote on the Mariscos San Juan Yelp page on Oct. 19. “It was a very scary experience for all. I hope that others affected are healing and doing ok. My heart goes out to you all.”

The outbreak of Shigella linked to the seafood restaurant in downtown San Jose, CA, has sickened at least 182 people so far and is reminding people of the power of social media when it comes to tracking foodborne illness.