Food Poisoning Cases Should Result in More Disclosure

November 16, 2015

(This editorial was first published Nov. 14, 2015, in the Des Moines Register and is posted here with permission.)

More than 50 people were sickened by cooked taco meat that was served to the staff at Des Moines’ Roosevelt High School last month.

The cooked meat was purchased from a grocery store shortly before it was served at the school as part of a staff luncheon. Subsequent testing detected a temperature-sensitive bacteria in the meat. The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals said the food was likely tainted during preparation at the store since the bacteria wouldn’t have had enough…