2 Camplyobacter cases linked to restaurant; foie gras suspected

August 30, 2017

A Mexican restaurant in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland, WA, has been confirmed as the source of two recent Camplyobacter infections, causing health officials to warn the public about the dangers of eating foie gras.

Public health officials investigated an outbreak infecting “a single meal party” at Café Juanita, according to a notice posted by Seattle & King County Public Health.

“On July 24th, Public Health learned about two ill persons from a single meal party during an interview with an ill person diagnosed with Campylobacter,” according to the notice. The department was not able to confirm the Campylobacter information about the second infected person until Aug. 16.

Department officials reported the infected people shared